WHAT IS A BRAND?
Most people think a brand is a name, symbol or design that identifies and differentiates a product or service from other products or services. It is so much more than that. A brand is actually a promise to your customer. It tells them what they can expect from your product or service and it differentiates your offering from your competitors’. Your brand is derived from who you are, who you want to be and how people perceive you. Any disconnect between these things creates a problem with your brand resulting in mistrust of the brand.
Branding is more than a logo. It is more than a website, business card, or marketing piece. It is more than the colours and fonts chosen to represent you. Your brand is the literal foundation of your business. It is the difference between success and failure. Treating it as anything less than this is a fatal mistake.
Protecting your brand is tantamount to your success. How you use your brand and leverage it will impact your bottom line. Here is how to do that.
- CONSISTENCY – Consistent use of your brand across all mediums is crucial. Good brands are consistent with who they are, how they communicate to their target markets, and how they present themselves. This includes look, feel, tone and message.
- UNIQUENESS – When you replicate the look of your competitor, you don’t distinguish yourself in the marketplace. Ensure your brand is distinct and memorable.
- SIMPLICITY – Everything about a brand should be simple and short without complication. If the brand is too hard to figure out, your potential clients will merely ignore you.
- ENGAGEMENT – Your brand should engage and energize you as well as your target market. It should connect with your target market and hold on to them.
- LIVE YOUR BRAND – Your brand is a reflection of you and your business. Don’t fake it. Work on being yourself, reinforcing your brand and living your brand every day. An authentic brand stands out among all of the competition.